Monday, October 11, 2010

You know you've gotten a good workout when . . .

We're into the second week of the FST-7 series of workouts that have gained a new popularity when it was discovered that both Jay Cutler and Phil Heath (#1 and #2 in this year's Olympia competition) were using these routine.

Today was chest and biceps -- a total of 32 sets including the killer "7 set" finish of each body part.

For the next 3 weeks, we'll be on FST-7 workouts and not cutting our calories, but making sure we get enough calories to add muscle mass.  Then, we're headed to the beach for a week (which we'll take completely off except for cardio) and after that it will be time to diet off any fat added during the process which we'll get done before Christmas.  That's the plan . . .

As we were readying to leave the gym today, a friend walked up and asked, "Did you get a good one today?"

"Yep," I said, my hand shaking as I was trying to put on my sweatshirt.

"How do you know when you've put in enough effort?" he asked.

"When, like right now, I am about to vomit in the floor and can't zip up my own hoodie," I replied.

So, what's the point?

The point is not that every workout needs to result in being sick, or in shaking like an old man.

No.

The point is that most people (me included for a long time) don't put in enough effort to change.  We never move to the next level because we won't push ourselves to the next level.  Most people in most gyms are comfortable coming in and doing what they always done, what they are comfortable doing.

And that is fine, unless they get unhappy over making no real progress in their physiques.

To change your shape, you have to change your workouts and that doesn't just mean changing exercises.  It means taking on more weight, even to the point it feels dangerous.  (That's where a workout partner comes in and I've written enough about that for the time being.)

Take it the next level -- do it!

Jim

P.S.  A lot of people have written to me and come up to me in our home gym asking about the NO (nitric oxide) article from a couple of weeks ago.  Since then, I've tried several more NO boosters, including SuperPump 250 by Gaspari Nutrition and most recently Quake by Sciavation.  SuperPump I rate in the middle of the pack.   Quake is deadly -- not literally but I was wired for 2 hours after taking a dose of it.  My energy levels were off the chart.  It is so strong I'm not sure I'd want to use it everyday and if I did, I'd definitely cycle off from time to time.  As with all NO boosters, it is best to consume it 15-30 minutes before training.  Used correctly, you will find it supports lean mass gains, promotes muscle pumps and fullness and, most importantly, provides intense energy and mental focus for the period of time it takes to get a good workout.  

No comments:

Post a Comment