Friday, January 22, 2010

How To Get In Your Full Workout On The Road

I am about to leave Cabo San Lucas where I gave a executive fitness seminar yesterday.

I am reminded how important it is to prepare before going on the road.

Diet is important and the most difficult and we'll do some blogs on that later, but now I want to talk about your training when you're on the road.

Here are some tips that work for me:

1. If you have a choice of hotels, you can (and should) first check the gyms that might work for you and book close to one of those. For example, when I am in St. Louis, I book at hotel very close to a Gold's Gym that I like.

2. If you don't have a choice of hotels, check and see what your hotel has to offer. In this case, the hotel is a resort and the gym is fine. I couldn't get a good leg workout in this gym, but no problem. I scheduled arms and shoulders over the last two days, will be off today and back at my gym tomorrow when I'll get legs in.

3. If you're in a hotel that offers the usual -- a few dumbbells and a cardio machine or two, that won't cut it. When you find out where you are booked, call the hotel and ask them if they are close to a "full service gym -- like Gold's, 24 Hour Fitness, etc." Oftentimes, they will know. When I am in southern California, for example, I stay at a great hotel, The Portofino, in Redondo Beach. It doesn't have an adequate gym but it is across the street from a Gold's and because I am staying in the hotel, I get a discount at that gym.

There are a lot of ways to get this done, but you have to do a little planning.

Bottom line: It's worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment