Friday, February 26, 2010

Current Workout - "Loading Phase"

In my talks, the most common question is, "What do you eat?" Well, on the website you can see everything I have eaten for more than a year.

I upload my food each week at: http://www.jimkarger.com/kitchen-diet-maintenance.php Check it out.

Others have asked that I start uploading my current workouts. I'm happy to do that and we're making an addition the web page in the next couple of weeks.

In the meantime, here's where I am now in the gym . . .

On an 8 week program focusing on growth which explains why I have added about 200 calories to my diet each day -- I'm doing what is called "lean-bulk," adding the maximum amount of muscle and the minimum amount of fat. More on the why's later.

Here's an explanation of the routine:

The first two weeks were an “Active Recovery Phase”. In this phase I only trained with weights twice a week on a full body routine before I started the next phase which is called the “Loading Phase”.

The “Loading Phase”, which is three weeks in duration, is a high volume phase with short rest between sets. Training volume gradually increases over the course of the three weeks in order to stress the body almost to the point of overtraining.

Then the next three weeks are a higher intensity/lower volume phase (heavier weights) with longer periods of rest between sets. This phase is called the “Growth Phase”, as volume is reduced but weights are increased in order to let the body catch up and super compensate (grow muscle size and strength).

Right now I am in the "Loading Phase," lots of sets, little rest between them. Today was Week 2, Day 1 of the "Loading Phase" and it looked like this:


February 26, 2009
Shoulders & Arms:

Superset:
Dumbbell Shoulder Press 4 sets x 10-12 reps (30 second rest)
Bent Over Laterals 4 sets x 10-12 reps (30 second rest)

Superset:
Dumbbell Curls 4 sets x 10-12 reps (No rest)
Lying Dumbbell Triceps Extensions 4 sets x 10-12 reps (1 minute rest)

Superset:
Incline Curls 4 sets x 10-12 reps (No rest)
Overhead Dumbbell Triceps Extensions 4 sets x 10-12 reps (1 minute rest)

Superset:
Wrist Curls 3 sets x 15-30 reps (No rest)
Reverse Wrist Curls 3 sets x 15-30 reps (No rest)

Superset:
Bent Over Laterals 3 sets x 10-12 reps (No rest)
Concentration Curls 3 sets x 10-12 reps (No rest)
Triceps Pushdowns 3 sets x 10-12 reps (1 minute rest)

39 sets -- whew! It's tough but it moves fast because there is little to no rest allowed between sets.

Supplements right now include the regulars and I've added "Tribulus Terrestris," a natural plant-form supplement that increases testosterone levels which I need right now working out 6 days a week, 30-40 sets per day. I'll let you know how that goes.

Hope this helps. Keep the e-mails and questions coming.

Train hard, diet harder,

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment