Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Loading Phase: Week 4: Days 2 and 5 (Legs)/How "Lean Bulk" Is Working

Today was my strongest leg workout in several weeks.

The "loading phase" is working.

This is the last week before going to "Growth," a much different focus.

Today looked like this:

Day 2 – Legs (Tuesday/Friday)

Superset:
Squats 4 sets x 10-12 reps (No rest)
Lying Leg Curls 4 sets x 10-12 reps (1 minute rest)

Superset:
Wide Stance Squats 4 sets x 10-12 reps (No rest)
Standing Leg Curls 4 sets x 10-12 reps (1 minute rest)

Superset:
Adductor Machine 3 sets x12-15 reps (No rest)
Abductor Machine 3 sets x12-15 reps (No rest)

Superset:
Standing Calf Raises 4 sets x 10-12 reps (30 second rest)
Seated Calf Raises 4 sets x 15-20 reps (30 second rest)

Superset:
Leg Press 3 sets x 10-12 reps (No rest)
Dumbbell Stiff Legged Dead lifts 3 sets x 10-12 reps (No rest)
Calf Press (on Leg Press Machine) 3 sets x 15-20 reps (1 minute rest)

39 sets.

I've learned on leg days to carb up a little more before hitting it.

Meal 1 is always Syntha-6 and 5 Grain cereal. On Leg Days I go from 1/3 cup to 1/2 cup of 5 Grain and split a Zone bar with my workout partner about half way through this workout.

I am up to 169.4 pounds, from a low of 163 pounds. It has been a slow grind through what I call "lean bulk," the addition of muscle slowly in order to avoid putting on unnecessary fat.

We will begin a 6 week cutting diet on April 15 which will take me below 10% body fat by June 1. I am adding as much muscle as I can between now and then with a goal of being about 172 pounds on April 15. If most of the added weight is muscle (and I believe it is), then I should only have to move down to 165-166 in order to get to sub-10% body fat.

In the meantime, I'm not taking any new Plus50Fitness speaking engagements. I find that while I can maintain on the road, I can't get in 6 days of intense workouts if I'm talking about working out and dieting rather than actually doing it.

I intend to crank up the seminars again sometime in late May-early June. I have learned a lot over the last three months and looking forward to sharing it all.

Train hard; diet harder!

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment