Saturday, March 27, 2010

Workout Cycling: I'm A Believer

Starting the last week of the Growth Phase -- the third and final phase of a workout cycling routine that includes "Active Recovery," "Loading," and "Growth." (Refer to earlier blogs for a description of each phase and the workouts that make up each of these.)

After this experience, I am a convert.

During the Loading phase the creators of the program said, "this phase prepares you for the Growth Phase." I didn't really know what that meant, but I do now. Moving on to heavier weight -- I mean really heavy weight -- is made possible by 4 weeks of loading -- 6 days a week, high sets, high reps.

It is not just preparing muscle and connective tissue for the added strain, but testosterone is now off the chart. We went into the gym yesterday - set new personal bests, and did the same thing today. Kelly looks like she has put on at least 5 pounds of muscle. One girl walked by me and whispered in my ear, "Is she taking HGH?"

No, she's not, but she's getting results because she is disciplined in her workouts and in her diet.

One more week of Growth and I can tell you, it is going to be hard to stop. But the same pros who came up with this routine warn, "if you continue the growth phase beyond 3 weeks, you WILL overtrain and you WILL hurt yourself." OK, I'm a believer. Tomorrow is an off day and then we have our last 6 days of Growth, all in a row.

A final note: I am glad to be back in the home gym (Fitness International) for this push before we switch routines again. While the gym in St. Louis had every piece of equipment under the sun, it didn't have one important component -- friends who push you along, who support you, who challenge you.

I believe other than a workout partner, being around other people who are supportive is one of the most important components of workout success.

Train hard; diet harder.

Jim

No comments:

Post a Comment